The #1 High School and University Resource for Alberta Students
University Studies Certificate at Portage College

How long is the University Studies Certificate at Portage College?
30 Week Certificate

What you need to get in to the University Studies Certificate at Portage College?
The University Studies program at Portage College offers a range of university transferable courses that provide students with a foundation for pursuing further studies as well as career preparation in selected areas of health, business, education, and human services. University Studies students can select courses to meet their individual needs, bridge into diploma programs at Portage College or elsewhere, or transfer credits to other institutions, including universities. Course credits are transferable to all universities and most colleges in Alberta. Students can complete up to two years of post-secondary studies. Full-time and Part-time Students: Students can participate in the University Studies program on a full-time or part-time basis. A normal full-time course load consists of five courses per semester, with a minimum of three courses per semester. A part-time course load consists of less than three courses per semester. Students can choose to complete the equivalent of a one-year certificate or a two-year diploma in accordance with the following guidelines.. Certificate: To qualify for University Studies Certificate students must complete 30 credits according to the following requirements: -a minimum of 6 credits in English, normally English 103. -a maximum of 12 credits in one University Studies subject. -a minimum of 12 elective credits drawn from University Studies subjects. Entrance Requirements: Students can be admitted in one of the following categories: High School Completion Completion of all high school subject group requirements, or equivalent, with a minimum average of 60% and no mark below 50% in English 30 or English 30-1, Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30 (Pure), or Mathematics 30 (Applied) or 30-level language other than English Subject from Group A or B (Social Studies 30 is recommended) Subject from Group C (Pure Mathematics or Mathematics 30 or Applied Mathematics may be presented, if not used above). A fifth subject from any subject group or any other approved five-credit, Grade 12 course.** ** Satisfaction of this requirement can include Phys Ed 30, advanced CTS courses and other courses to a total of five credits, but not Special Projects 30 or Work Experience 30. Students may not use two subjects from the same discipline (e.g., Social Studies 33, if Social Studies 30 has already been used). Grade 12 Subjects Group A 1.English 30 or English Language Arts 30-1 2.Language other than English 30/31/35 or English Language Arts 30-1 3.Social Studies 30 Group B 1.Applied Graphic Arts 35 2.Art 30 3.Art 31 4.Commercial Art 35 A, B, or C 5.Communication Technology Advanced (5 credits) 6.Dance 35 7.Drama 30 8.Music 30 (Choral, Instrumental or General) 9.Music 35 10.Musical Theatre 35 11.Performing Arts 35 A, B, or C Group C 1.Mathematics 30 2.Pure Mathematics 30 3.Mathematics 31 4.Chemistry 30 5.Physics 30 6.Biology 30 7.Science 30 Number of Transferable Post-Secondary Credits Group A 1.English (6) 2.Language other than English (6) 3.Humanities or Social Sciences (3) Group B 1.Fine Arts (*3) as 1-11 above Group C 1.Mathematics (Algebra) (3) 2.Mathematics (Calculus) (3) 3.Chemistry (3) 4.Physics (3) 5.Biology (includes Botany, Genetics, Microbiology, Zoology) (3) 6.Any Science course (3) Mature Student Status Students must be 19 or older, out of high school for at least one full year prior to the program start date, and have a minimum average of 60% with no mark below 50% in English 30, one other subject from Group A, B, orC. Career Potential: Possible employment areas for graduates include: Business and management, Information technology, Social work, Education and childcare, Rehabilitation services, Health services.

For more information on the University Studies Certificate at Portage College
(780) 623-5580

Does the :program offer a Coop?

Distance Education Available:

What type of learning environment should I expect in the University Studies Certificate?
In Class Study

Related Programs